6.16.2009

Lessons Learned and Yummy Treats

This morning Rachel and I woke up extra early. I have a hard time sleeping when something fun and special is happening in the morning. What was going on that made my little eyes keep peeping open? Our cell group was coming over! Now in case you're wondering what that means, it's just a Bible study of 12th grade girls we have led. We wanted to get everyone together over the summer before they head off to college in the fall. So Rachel sent some invites (via Facebook of course), and I started cooking. However, skies like this seemed to keep the girls away. Very sad...
Now, I had cooked up a storm, so I was a bit sad. It made me think of all the times when I let the Lord down. I promise to have daily quiet times, and somehow, I miss a day. Or I make a commitment, only to break it. He is excited and ready for me to show up, and I bail. I must strive to be faithful and a woman of my word.
Anywho, no worries on our part. We'll be back on track next week! (hopefully with sunny skies...) Since I've been baking for a while now, I'll show you what I've got. One success and one failure.

A cautionary tale--
The failure was doomed to happen. I'd had these little bite-sized wonders at a leaders' retreat for the previously mentioned cell group. They are little sausage, egg, and cheese-filled biscuit cups. I'm not the best food chef. I thought I could make up the recipe on my own, but I was wrong. They weren't terrible, so I'll share...
My mistake was due in large part to the overfilling of the mini muffin tins. Use only ONE layer of the flaky biscuits. I used two or so.

Mix the above together and pour into your cups.

However, don't fill your cups this full. Your oven will thank you. Mine is currently smoking a bit due to the overflow.

Bake them in the oven for about 20 minutes, and this is what you get. Now, they don't nearly as bad as they look. Less biscuit, and I would have been golden.

Now, on to the success. This time I let Darby do the investigations. She is a skilled food chef, so I gave her ciniminis a whirl--and boy am I glad I did! They were super easy and mighty delicious.
I'll let you check out the recipe in her words, but you basically just cover the crescent roll dough in butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Then, roll, cut, and bake. How could I mess these up?
They are WONDERFUL! Eat up!!!

No comments: